Join us for the Chaffee County Running Club’s 9th Annual Run through Time
on March 15, 2014 in beautiful Salida.
This winter trail marathon, half marathon and 2-mile fun run is one of Colorado’s premier trail races. It will challenge your fitness and – with spectacular views and elevations over 7000 feet – take your breath away.
The Run through Time benefits the Chaffee County Running Club and Salida Mountain Trails, a local non-profit, all volunteer organization committed to building and maintaining sustainable, non-motorized, multi-user trails on public lands adjoining the city of Salida.
This race fills up fast, so register early.
- Course Description
- Race Schedule
- Registration and Fees
- On-course Support and Aid
- Recommended Gear
- Sponsors & Key Supporters
- Awards and Divisions
- Previous Years’ Results
- Important Rules and Considerations
- Spectator and Parking Tips
- Race Contact
This beautiful, challenging course is run on dirt/jeep roads and narrow, hilly singletrack with fantastic views of Salida and the Arkansas Valley. Elevations range from 7000-9000 feet. All courses remain the same as 2013.
· 11 miles of narrow hilly single track trail, with the remainder on dirt/jeep roads
· Approximately 4,750’ of climbing
· 7 hour time limit
· 5 aid stations
· Entry limit: 200
· Approximately 9 miles of narrow hilly single track trail, with the remainder on dirt/jeep roads
· Approximately 2200’ of climbing
· 6 hour time limit
· 3 aid stations
· Entry limit: 200
Two-mile Fun Run
· Loop on dirt and gravel roads
· 2 milers start and run with the half marathon runners for their first 2 miles
· Open to everyone and there is no entry limit.
Friday, March 14, 2014
6:00pm-8:00pm – Packet pickup and runner/volunteer dinner, Salida Steam Plant at 220 W. Sackett Ave.
Saturday, March 15, 2014
6:30am – Packet pickup and fun-run registration,
8:00am – Marathon begins
9:00am – Half marathon and fun-run begin
10:30am - Post-race party begins, Salida Steam Plant
3:00pm – Cutoff for the half marathon finish
3:00pm – Cutoff for the marathon finish
12:00pm – Half marathon awards ceremony
1:30pm – Marathon awards ceremony
The marathon and half marathon fields are both sold out.
There will be no race-day registration for the marathon and half marathon. Race-day registration will be available for the Two-Mile Fun Run.
Before January 31, 2014 - $55
February 1, 2014—February 28, 2014 - $60
March 1 – March 13, 2014 - $65
Half Marathon -
Before January 31, 2014 - $45
February 1, 2014—February 28, 2014 - $50
March 1 – March 13, 2014 - $55
2-Mile Fun Run - $5 - register now
Kids 6 and Under Run Free During March 15 Run Through Time Race
All children 6 and under are invited to join in the race time fun during the 9th Annual Run Through Time Saturday, March 15th. This year the popular marathon has added a 400 meter Kids Sprint which will be held in the Salida Riverpark.
“We want our families with children to experience just how fun (and good!) running is for you, says Rickie Redland, Race Director of Run Through Time. We have a 2-mile fun run for our older kids, but we wanted to engage our younger community members as well. If we start running with them now, they will be more inclined to run as they get older. We couldn’t think of a better way to face childhood obesity head-on”.
Entry for the Kids Sprint is free, but same-day registration is required at the SteamPlant from 7:30am – 9:30am. All participants sprint in a special race bib and receive a finisher’s medal, nutritious snacks by KIND bars and thirst quenching juice boxes by LiveWell Chaffee County. Registered racers will meet at the amphitheater in the park 15 minutes before start time.
For kids 7 and over, space is still available in the 2-mile fun run. Registration is $5 and can be done online or same-day. Participants receive a race t-shirt.
Run Through Time benefits Chaffee County Running Club and Salida Mountain Trails, a local non-profit, all volunteer organization committed to building and maintaining sustainable, non-motorized, multi-user trails on public lands adjoining the city of Salida. For more information: email@example.com or visit www.salidarec.com/ccrc.
Registration fee includes a gender specific quality shirt guaranteed if entry is received by March 5 and post-race refreshments. Alcohol will be available for purchase after the race.
The Friday night pasta dinner is a great way to meet other competitors, and is open to friends and family of runners. The dinner cost is $10 per person and can be purchased during registration.
There will be 5 well-stocked aid stations for the marathon and 3 aid stations for the half marathon. As in 2013, this race will be cupless, so bringing your own bottle to refill at aid stations is imperative. Medical personnel will be available in case of emergency.
March in the Rocky Mountains is unpredictable. Be prepared for anything from sunburn to extreme winter conditions. You are likely to encounter rocks, snow, ice and/or mud. Mandatory to carry a water bottle and suggest you carry energy food/fluids and perhaps an extra jacket. Some years we experience wonderful weather conditions, but it is still winter. So COME PREPARED for bad weather.
Local bike shop Absolute Bikes and Smith Sunglasses are offering 20% off Smith Sunglasses to race participants. Bring your bib number in to Absolute Bikes anytime during the Run Through Time weekend to take advantage.
Also, look for Absolute Bikes volunteers at the high points on the run, and at the marathon aid station - always supporting Run Through Time runners!
If you’re not running but want to take in the excitement of the race from the course, volunteering as an aid station volunteer or course marshal is the perfect way to do that. Volunteers get free entry into the Friday night pasta dinner, a high-quality race shirt, and much appreciation from the race organizers and athletes! To find out more about volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overall awards to top three men/women in each race and age group awards to top three man/women in each 10 year age group depending on entries in addition to door prizes. The award ceremony will be held at 12pm for the half marathon and 1:30pm for the marathon at the Salida Steam Plant.
- Foot travel only
- Time limits enforced for marathon and half marathon. 3 intermediate time cut-offs at 7 hour pace for marathon. 1 time cut-off at 6 hour finish time pace for half.
- No dogs or other animals or crews, no spectators on County Road 175, 181 and Forest Service Road 173 portion of course.
- No littering
- For safety, to preserve the experience and for fairness, we do not allow crewing or pacing out on the courses
- Pack it in/pack it out
- Carry a water bottle, no cups on course
- Help other runners in need.
- Obey race officials instructions.
- Parking on the downtown streets in Salida is limited to two hours. Please pay attention to parking signs. Overflow parking may be obtained in the parking lot on the west side of Safeway and west of G Street on 1st Street (291).
- For safety, to preserve the experience and for fairness, we do not allow crewing or pacing out on the courses. If you want to be out on the course the perfect way to do that is to volunteer to work at an aid station or as a course marshal. We're always looking for volunteers, and your help is definitely appreciated! To find out more about volunteering, please contact email@example.com.
- Please do not run out on the course to pace or crew. For the safety of all athletes, we ask that spectators please do not drive up CR 143 and CR 145 due to the narrow road and blind switchbacks.
For additional questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Acli-Mate® Natural Sport Drinks will be provided on course and at the finish. Acli-Mate® ENDURANCE Orange Mango and Cran Rasp will be pre-mixed on course for electrolyte replacement, performance, hydration and energy. The MOUNTAIN formulation with a blend of electrolytes, vitamins, minerals and herbal extracts for optimal recovery will be provided at the finish. To learn more about Acli-Mate® Natural Sport Drinks, a Gunnison Company, and to purchase product go to www.Acli-Mate.com or to your local retailer prior to the event. Acli-Mate® products are ideal for optimal pre-sport nutrition, performance, energy, hydration and acclimatization. See the links provided to learn more about Acli-Mate® Natural Sport Drinks and to find a store near you.